Welcome home to NORTHERN COMFORT SPECIALIZED CARE INC., the Upper Peninsula’s first residential facility for Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury. We are also a hospice that assist with assisted living. Centrally located in Manistique, on the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan, the newly constructed home offers approximately 3000 square feet of specially designed luxury living for your loved one’s health and comfort. Nourish the spirit in this beautiful north woods setting.
The purpose of Northern Comfort Specialized Care is to provide 24-hour care for individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries, hospice care and assisted living. Certified Nursing Assistants trained by a Registered Nurse and Certified Brain Injury Specialist, provide compassion and guidance, while implementing a care plan tailored to meet each resident’s unique needs. We are committed to the values of dignity, honesty and integrity, and strive to achieve a functional balance of meeting the needs of our residents and their financial resources.
Northern Comfort Specialized Care aspires to provide an environment where our Scope Of Care extends to meet each person’s needs, while providing a home setting that is safe, caring and comfortable. Our commitment to care focuses on potential, not limitations.
SCOPE OF CARE:
Quality care and progressive rehabilitation services provided by dedicated individuals for those living with brain and spinal cord injuries, require hospice care, and assisted living care.
Brain and Spinal Care Injuries
Our Scope of Care extends to individuals who require long term or transitional services. Northern Comfort’s care team realizes that brain and spinal cord injuries are life-altering events. Our specialized services and programs address the various types, levels and stages of injuries. We invite family participation and support as people achieve their highest level of independence and potential.
We are well known for being the example of compassionate, quality care in taking care of people with life-limiting injuries. Our hospice care team provide expert medical care, pain management along with spiritual and emotional support. We treat each patient with their very own specific needs and provide support to the family as well.
UP Northern comfort provides long care assisted living needs such as providing meals, medication management, bathing, dressing, and transportation.
We provide a homelike setting where we monitor the residents to make sure they are healthy. Also, we coordinate with services of outside healthcare providers as needed.
“Northern Comfort Specialized Care is proud to be woman and minority owned.”
Northern Comfort Specialized Care offers luxurious, barrier free living for individuals with Acquired Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury in a perfect location to enjoy the treasures of the Upper Peninsula. Approximately 1.5 hours west of the Mackinaw Bridge, our private six-bed residential facility overlooks the 9th hole of the Stony Point Golf Course. The location offers wooded views and nature at its finest from every window. Come feel the beauty of the setting and the warmth and grace of your new home.
- Grand Foyer with vaulted ceiling, featuring a spacious 16X46 dining and gathering area with views overlooking the Stony Point Golf Course.
- 6 spacious 10X12 private bedrooms featuring two large windows with natural, wooded views. Rooms may be personalized.
- 2 barrier free/user friendly baths with roll-in showers
- Physical therapy and recreation room
- Covered patios, barrier-free gardens and accessible outdoor walkways
- Modern kitchen
- Rich, warm, welcoming décor offering functional living
Residential Program Components
Northern Comfort’s specialized care program recognizes individuals with acquired brain injuries and spinal cord injuries achieve their highest potential with consistent, progressive and person-centered quality care. Come to meet our staff, and feel the sense of purpose.
- Comprehensive person-centered care/behavioral plans
- Formally trained and competency evaluated Certified Nursing Assistants
- On-site nursing services available 24/7
- Medication administration and management
- On-site professional treatment team
- Access to case manager, program director and mental health professionals 24/7
- Facility owned transportation system
- Internal Case Manager, Certified Brain Injury Specialist accompaniment to physician appointments
- Residence licensed by the State of Michigan
Certified Nursing Assistants are formally trained and competency evaluated by a Registered Nurse to provide 24-hour individualized resident care and supervision to include the following:
- General Health Monitoring
- Catheter Care / Colostomy Care
- Bowel and Bladder Management
- Non-Complex Wound Care
- Diabetic Care
- Autonomic Instability Management
- Gastric Tube Management
- Ostomy Care and Management
Identifying meaningful pastime activities enriches everyones life, and we encourage residents to participate in social and recreational activities. Structured community access and integration offers residents meaningful leisure and recreational activities to meet the differing needs and interests of our residents.
- Exercise/Cardio Fitness Memberships
- Church and Bible Study
- Cultural Events
- Lake Michigan beaches and accessible boardwalk
- Community Outings
- Brain Injury Support Groups
- Shopping Trips
- Supported Employment Opportunities